Adeline and Andrew

Adeline and Andrew

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, April 17, 2015

Put the kids to work!

I know it's hard to believe but sometimes Adeline and Andrew fight.  And today was quite possibly one of the most aggressive fights I had seen.  It was all over a bag of chips!  Even though I was right there they seem to have forgotten it and decided to be extremely unkind to each other.
At times like this I am faced with a decision.  One....I can get mad and choose to lose control to stop what is going on.  (there are times this happens) or Two.....I can respond calm and collected with patience and take care of the situation.  Today I chose option #2.  First they went into time out (which is always quiet, no crying or talking allowed) and then they were each given rakes and a bag to fill.  After talking through with the kids what happened and hearing them apologize to each other they started raking.  When they wanted to stop they were reminded why they were asked to rake in the first place.
In the end they were proud of their accomplishment.  I would like to say they won't treat each other like that again but I know better.  Hopefully next time I will respond calmly again....because the outcome is so much better.


No comments: