Adeline and Andrew

Adeline and Andrew

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Memoirs of Emergency Surgery

After our appointment at Spectrum we were at the check out when the Doctor ran up to me. He asked me if anyone had ever talked to me about my cyst on my left ovary. I told him that I became aware that I had it when we started the InVitro process with Adeline but it didn't grow and it hadn't grown since having her. He told me that what he saw had grown over 2cm in 5 weeks since my last ultra-sound. We then went back to talk privately. He told me that what he sees is more complex than a cyst (even an Endometreoma) and that it was more a mass with septations (much more complex). He wanted to refer me to a Oncologist and quickly because if surgery was needed it would need to be done fast for the baby's sake.

Cancer? What? I have never had any pain and my cycles have always been to the day this couldn't be right. Once I get a second opinion it will show the measurements were wrong and that everything would be fine. I told him to refer me and left the office excited about our baby boy.

At 12:30 the next day I get a call from the Doctor I saw yesterday who talked to the Oncologist. He told me that he was very concerned and wanted to see me that day at 2:00. I had a hour and a half to take a shower, drop Adeline off somewhere, and make it to Grand Rapids.

I made it to my appointment by 2:15 where I sat for about 30 minutes. While I was there I watched many women walk in and out coming for their chemotherapy treatments. This is not an office I want to be sitting in. Once I was called in I was given a complete physical exam and then had a consult with the Doctor. He was concerned that I was by myself and wanted to make sure what information they gave me I understood.

He proceeded to tell me that what he saw if seen on a 50 year old woman would be considered cancer until tested otherwise. Since I am 28 my risk wasn't as high but because of all the septations in the mass it did not look good. If I chose to have the surgery it would need to be done soon like the next day at 1:30. Week 18-20 is the best time to operate with the least risk to baby. If I chose not to have the surgery I would run the chance of having an ovarian torsion which could cause miscarriage around weeks 24-25 and also if it was cancer it would be that much longer until treated. I didn't find the decision very hard to make. But a lot had to happen and it needed to happen fast.

I left the Doctors office at 4 and needed to return to the hospital by 7 to be admitted. I needed to call and get James out of work, pick Adeline up (thank you Misty), find someone to watch her over night (or for longer), pack a bag and head back to Grand Rapids. Did I mention that I was just told that I might have cancer? James got out of work as soon as I called him and picked up Adeline. I called Mom Bean and asked her if she could watch Adeline. She was in Lansing about to go pick up her new car. She asked when I needed her and I said in about an hour and a half. With no hesitation she said she would be on her way.

Okay...that was done. I came home cleaned the house up, gave Adeline a bath, packed both she and I and sat down on the couch. I decided that I would not let my mind race to places it shouldn't and that my primary concern was for Andrew and his safety. He didn't need me going crazy. I would remain calm for him.

Grandma arrived, we gave our kisses and then we were off.

I checked in a little after 7 and had an MRI scheduled for 9:30. The MRI would be a more detailed second opinion and would show that if there was cancer if any of it had spread to my abdominal cavity or lymph nodes. The MRI took about 45 minutes and after waiting an hour we were told we wouldn't know the outcome until the next day. So now my focus was to empty my bowel and have a clean system for surgery.

The next morning we waited and waited and waited to hear what was going to happen. No one seemed to have the answers and the Doctors were in an emergency surgery. Finally at around 11:30 a Doctor came in and talked to us about the MRI. Everything besides the ovary looked good. They did decide that they would take the ovary and fallopian tube because of the complexity of the mass. The Doctor told me that he does not see this being cancer and that if it was it should be at a low stage.

At 12:30 our doctor came in to talk to us before I was taken away for preparation. He was very happy that whatever it was hadn't spread but still felt the urgency to remove it now and have it tested. His words were that you can only know so much with an external view and we need to go internal. He also told us that the mass was the size of an orange. He let us know that as I was out on the surgical table once they removed the ovary they would immediately test it and within 20 minutes they would have a 97% correct answer. James and I agreed that if it was cancer and they needed to operate more and remove more (lymph nodes, ect.) that they could and that we wanted them to do it then. Another surgery at a later date would not be safe for Andrew.

My handsome brother John came just in time to give me lots of kisses and stayed through my entire surgery as support for James. John said that he has never seen James nervous before and James said that it was nice to have someone there with him.

3 hours later the surgery was done. The mass tested positive for endometriosis and there was no Cancer. THERE WAS NO CANCER!

At about 6 I was waking up. I remember crying and being in a lot of pain. I wanted to see James and I wanted to hear the baby's heart beat. I felt my stomach and noticed an incision in the center of my chest I at that point thought that they found cancer and had to make and incision all they way up my stomach. The resident rushed over to me and let me know that things couldn't have gone any better and that there was no cancer. They also called someone down from labor and delivery with a Doppler so that I could hear Andrew. Once I was pumped with some good pain killers I was able to relax more.

During this whole time which happened so fast I got a lot of information on the surgery and our need for it. But I never asked about the recovery time. I don't know what I was thinking. What I do know is that I wasn't thinking that it would take a while to walk and go to the bathroom on my own and that I would be totally dependent on others.

Today is Saturday, I am still in the hospital hoping to be discharged tomorrow. The staff has been great, Adeline has been happy with her grand parents, and I am married to the most incredible man ever.

James has taken care of my every need. Helped me get out of bed, helped me eat, helped me in the rest room (even the dirty parts), helped me with my shower and has been by my side non stop. What an amazing man. I am so blessed. Even with 5 incisions on my stomach he still manages to make me feel like the most beautiful woman in the world.

This next week I have family taking turns coming up to stay with us to help with Adeline and the week after that James is on vacation. I think we can do this. It's going to be a hard next couple of weeks but we have a great support system of family and friends.

AND....did I mention that I don't have cancer and that we are having a BOY!!!!!

p.s thanks to all of you who have sent emails, left voice mails, and even visited. Your prayers, kind words, and nice smelling gifts have really been appreciated.

8 comments:

Kim said...

I am so glad and relieved that everything is OK. I am thankful that you will have such a great support system in place. I have been thinking about you and praying for you a lot over the last few days. I hope you are able to come home today for some normalcy. Let us know if you need anything.

Kim said...

PS
for a little encouragement, my sister in law had the same surgery because her cyst had grown bigger than her baby. (The thing came and went with every pregnancy, but didn't grow large until the last one) Things went great, she made it to her due date and had no complications.

Rick and Vicki said...

Care about you so much. Praying for your recovery to go quickly. You are handling everything so well. I am here if you need anything.
Love,
Vicki

Lindsey said...

I've been thinking of you, too & praying. Let me know if you need anything.

Bethany said...

I am so glad you and Andrew are both ok! We prayed pretty hard and are still for your recovery time. And I'm really excited to have my first nephew on the way!!!

Jamie said...

Wow, those were some crazy days. I am so glad that all is well and I wish you a speedy recovery. Hooray, it is a boy!!

~My Life said...

I am so glad you are doing better! What a scary thing to go through! Looks and sounds like Addy is a great kid you are very lucky, she will be a great help while you are recovering.

Take care~
Michelle (Ellison) Cooper

momtastic said...

Many blessings to you and your family... I went through a similar thing, not pregnant, and positive for Endo also after a nerve racking surgery scheduled within days of test after test. I had a blood test (CA125... I'll never forget) and they told me I was at a very high risk for this being cancer, to go to my GYNO right now. I felt like they just told me I have cancer, but being cautious with me, I was devastated. At 25, with ovarian cancer, and a risk of leaving behind my little 2 year old girl. My heart goes out to you; no family should be put through this let alone with a little one in the mix. ***HUGS***