Adeline and Andrew

Adeline and Andrew

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, May 14, 2011

River Bank Run

Back in the Fall while I was recovering from my acl/meniscus surgery I made a goal for myself to get back into running. I decided on the Fifth Third River Bank 25k. For some reason I didn't realize that this was longer than a half marathon, had I noticed that I probably would have done a different race. I still thought that it was a good goal and decided to do my best to prepare.

I never ran more than 13 miles in my training and felt as though I might have peaked too early because I was running 13 miles as my long run for over a month. The week before the race I had a really bad cold and had to take four days off. I was nervous that I wasn't ready.

I had to think about what ready really meant for me in this race. It did not mean was I fast enough, but do I have enough endurance to make it. I wasn't working on speed, I was working on distance. I had a goal to be under 2 hours 30 minutes and I made that goal with a 2 hour 28 minute finish. My first seven miles were under 9 minutes (I know this because the 9 minute pacers were behind me). After mile seven there was a steady line of hills for the next four miles that I didn't train for. I began to notice a lot of runners passing me and was continually looking over my shoulder for the 10 minute mile pacers. By mile 12 the hills ended and I was able to pick up a more steady pace. I never did see the 10 minute mile pacers, but I did see the 9 1/2 minute mile pacers right before I passed the finish line. I was so happy and proud as I approached the finish line to see my excited little girl run out to give me a high five. In Adeline's words "you cheer for me Mommy, and I cheer for you".

I wasn't fast, but I did it. 9 minute 35 sec pace, no stopping, no pooping.

A special thank you to my supportive husband (who was very excited for me), my children who cheered me on, and to my In-Laws and Dad who came to support me. It made my personal victory memorable. And an extra special thank you to the Kragt family who took us in for the night and allowed me to run on their team. We'll see what next year will bring.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

I admire your hard work and determination!