Adeline and Andrew

Adeline and Andrew

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, May 29, 2010

My first race


Well I did it...I ran a 10k. I had been wanting to run a race for a long time now but haven't actually done it. My girlfriend told me that this Saturday there would be a race and they have both a 5k and 10k. I normally run 4-5 miles five times a week but never 6 so I thought it would be a challenge. I wasn't sure what to expect and I never really trained for this or the many hills it was going to have.
I remember starting the run and making it to mile 2 and thinking "really this is only the 2nd mile I should have done the 5k". But then once I hit the 3rd mile and they called out my time I realized I was at a little under 9 minute miles. I was encouraged and that gave me the endurance to continue. I normally run 8.45-8.30 on a treadmill so I was happy to be running close to 9 minutes considering all of the hills. I also remember this little woman passing me and thinking "I just have to pass her before the race is over; she is obviously older than me so I can do it"....nope...didn't happen.
As I approached the finish line I saw my wonderful husband and beautiful kids cheering me on. I don't have my official time but it was around 54-55 minutes, 9 minute mile pace. I was very proud of myself. Maybe I could do a 15k? It might be worth it considering I'm having ACL surgery in early July and at that point I will hardly be walking.
And on a positive note: For all you who know me and my running history...I didn't poop my pants :-)

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

Good for you, Charity! That is so admirable.

Donald said...

Go sis! You rock!

Bethany said...

Good job, Charity!